U.S. Robotics Unleashes Wireless MAXg
Wireless Networking Devices to Deliver Up to 50 Percent Greater Coverage and 40 Percent Faster Throughput
LAS VEGAS, (CES 2005) - January 6, 2005– U.S. Robotics is arming wireless networks with the tools and devices needed for maximum range, speed, simplicity and security throughout the home and office. U.S. Robotics’ new wireless MAXg™ product family is the first to combine the industry’s latest performance and range enhancements, providing up to 50 percent greater range and 40 percent faster throughput over standard 802.11g products. Moreover, U.S. Robotics’ exclusive MAXg technology suite helps to install products effortlessly with U.S. Robotics distinctive SureStart™ installation wizard and protect networks with a complete set of improved security measures.
“For the first time, users can expect secure, whole home or office coverage from the MAXg product line compared to other 802.11g devices on the market today,” says Jim Thomsen, senior product manager, U.S. Robotics. “Where standard 802.11g devices typically operate up to 150 feet indoors, MAXg is capable of delivering an extending range up to 225 feet and maintaining faster wireless connections at greater distances in typical home and small business environments. This eliminates many so called “hot” and “cold” spot issues.” Thomsen adds, “Better yet, the MAXg line does not require a proprietary environment to reap the benefits of maximum overall range improvements. In fact, it will provide range improvement to any 802.11g device.”
U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg family delivers:
- Maximum Range: Broadcom’s new BroadRange™ technology provides the greatest receive sensitivity of any 802.11g-compliant product, allowing Wi-Fi users to maintain high-speed connections at greater distances from a wireless access point.
- Maximum Speed: 125 High Speed Mode™ boosts 802.11g performance, allowing customers to use their Wi-Fi networks for bandwidth-intensive applications, such as sharing digital photos and transferring audio and video files between devices throughout the home.
- Maximum Simplicity: U.S. Robotics SureStart installation wizard seamlessly installs wireless MAXg adapters, routers or access points and critically configures security.
- Maximum Security: Key security capabilities include Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), WPA2/802.11i, 802.1x Authentication and 64/128-bit WEP encryption. Additionally, the Wireless MAXg Router includes a Stateful Packet Inspection firewall and support for VPN pass through (PPTP, IPSec and L2TP), as well as MAC Address Authentication.
BroadRange technology uses advanced digital signal processing techniques to improve a device’s ability to receive wireless transmissions, enabling Wi-Fi users to maintain high-speed connections up to 50 percent further from an access point. This allows products to stay connected longer at top speeds before stepping back to lower data rates, and experience greater coverage at lower data rates. Plus, because BroadRange technology is standards-compliant, users can benefit from additional range in any wireless network – even if other devices do not use the technology.
125 High Speed Mode increases 802.11g performance by improving the efficiency of wireless data transmissions. Derived from standards-based techniques, it delivers greater throughput on a single wireless channel, eliminating the interference inherent in solutions that use multiple channels to achieve better performance. Although wireless networks will achieve optimal speeds in a network of all MAXg products, the technology is compatible with all 802.11b/g devices and actually enhances the aggregate performance for all Wi-Fi devices on the network.
U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg Family will be available in Q1 2005 from leading e-tail, retail and distribution channels throughout North America and includes the following:
- Wireless MAXg Router (USR5461) – MSRP $69.99
- Wireless MAXg USB Adapter (USR5417) – MSRP $59.99
- Wireless MAXg PCI Adapter (USR5421) – MSRP $59.99
- Wireless MAXg PC Card (USR5411) – MSRP $59.99
- Wireless MAXg Wireless Access Point (USR5451) – MSRP $79.99
About U.S. Robotics
For three decades, U.S. Robotics has been the world’s leader in Internet access, delivering the highest quality and most innovative modems available. U.S. Robotics also provides a selection of wireless and wired networking products and security devices for homes and small offices. The company is partnering with key industry players and new technology providers to bring consumers connectivity solutions through its extensive worldwide distribution channel. U.S. Robotics is privately held and headquartered in Chicago, USA. Its EMEA headquarters are based in the UK. For further information regarding the company and its products, please visit the Web site at www.usr.com.
U.S. Robotics is a registered trademark of U.S. Robotics Corporation. All rights reserved. All other company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.