U.S. Robotics’ Wireless MAXg Router and PC Card Win LAPTOP Magazine’s Editors’ Choice Award
CHICAGO (May 17, 2005) – U.S. Robotics’ Wireless MAXg Router and PC Card secured LAPTOP Magazine’s Editors’ Choice Award from Contributing Editor John Brandon in the June 2005 issue (available on newsstands now), the company announced today.
“U.S. Robotics is proud of the recognition we have received from the editors of LAPTOP Magazine,” says Jim Thomsen, senior product manager, U.S. Robotics. “LAPTOP is an authority on new products, trends, and insights and their endorsement of the new MAXg line is exciting as we launch the products.”
The wireless MAXg product family is the first to combine the industry’s latest 802.11g performance and range enhancements, providing up to 50 percent greater range and 40 percent faster throughput over standard 802.11g products. Moreover, U.S. Robotics’ exclusive MAXg technology helps to install products effortlessly with U.S. Robotics’ distinctive SureStart™ installation wizard and to protect networks with a complete suite of improved security measures.
“U.S. Robotics has forged new ground with its Wireless MAXg USR5461 Router and matching USR5411 PC Card,” says Brandon in the new product review. “…the USR5461 features an intuitive setup wizard, superior security, and some useful multimedia options for about $130 less than the competition.”
U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg family delivers:
- Maximum Range: Industry-leading receive sensitivity and increased transmit power allows Wi-Fi users to maintain high-speed connections at greater distances from their wireless access point.
- Maximum Speed: 125 High Speed Mode boosts 802.11g performance, allowing customers to use their Wi-Fi networks for bandwidth-intensive applications, such as sharing digital photos and transferring audio and video files between devices.
- Maximum Simplicity: U.S. Robotics’ SureStart wizard seamlessly installs a wireless MAXg adapter and MAXg router (if appropriate), and makes security set up nearly effortless.
- Maximum Security: Key security capabilities include Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPAs)/802.11i, WPA, MAC Address Authentication, 802.1x Authentication, and 64/128-bit WEP encryption. Additionally, the Wireless MAXg Router includes a Stateful Packet Inspection firewall and support for VPN pass through (PPTP, IPSec and L2TP).
“For the first time, users can expect secure, whole home or office coverage with the MAXg product line compared to other 802.11g devices on the market today,” says Thomsen. “Where standard 802.11g devices typically operate up to 150 feet indoors, MAXg is capable of delivering an extended range up to 225 feet and maintains faster wireless connections at greater distances in typical home and small business environments. This eliminates many so called “hot” and “cold” spot issues.” Thomsen adds, “Better yet, the MAXg line does not require a proprietary environment to reap the benefits of maximum overall range improvements. In fact, it will provide range improvement to any 802.11g device.”
MAXg extended range technology uses advanced digital signal processing techniques to improve a device’s ability to receive wireless transmissions, enabling Wi-Fi users to maintain high-speed connections up to 50 percent further from an access point. This allows longer connections at top speeds before stepping back to lower data rates, and greater coverage at lower data rates. Plus, because MAXg extended range technology is standards-compliant, users can benefit from additional range in any wireless network – even if other devices do not use the technology.
125 Mbps High Speed Mode increases 802.11g performance by improving the efficiency of wireless data transmissions. Derived from standards-based techniques, it delivers greater throughput on a single wireless channel, eliminating the interference inherent in solutions that use multiple channels to achieve better performance. Although wireless networks will achieve optimal speeds in a network of all MAXg products, the technology is compatible with all 802.11b/g devices and actually enhances the aggregate performance for all Wi-Fi devices on the network.
U.S. Robotics’ Wireless MAXg Family is available from leading e-tail, retail, and distribution channels throughout North America and includes the following:
- Wireless MAXg Router(USR5461) – MSRP $69.99
- Wireless MAXg USB Adapter(USR5417) – MSRP $49.99
- Wireless MAXg PCI Adapter(USR5421) – MSRP $49.99
- Wireless MAXg PC Card(USR5411) – MSRP $49.99
- Wireless MAXg Wireless Access Point (USR5451) – MSRP $79.99
About U.S. Robotics
For three decades, U.S. Robotics has been the world’s leader in Internet access, delivering the highest quality and most innovative modems available. U.S. Robotics also provides a selection of wireless and wired networking products and security devices for homes and small offices. The company is partnering with key industry players and new technology providers to bring consumers connectivity solutions through its extensive worldwide distribution channel. U.S. Robotics is privately held and headquartered in Chicago, USA. Its EMEA headquarters are based in the UK. For further information regarding the company and its products, please visit the Web site at www.usr.com.
About LAPTOP Magazine
LAPTOP is the leading authority on mobile technology. Every issue delivers objective product reviews and comparisons, ground-breaking coverage of significant trends in the mobile workforce, industry insights and interviews, and trusted buying advice.
U.S. Robotics is a registered trademark of U.S. Robotics Corporation. All rights reserved. All other company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.