USRobotics Offers Cordless Phone for Skype, Designed for Home and Small Office Use
Ordinary Landline and Skype Calling from One Cordless Phone
Chicago (August 30, 2006)– USRobotics, a Platinum Equity company, announced its newest Skype Certified™ products today, the USR9630 Cordless Phone for Skype and the USR9631 Accessory Handset. The USR9630 base station connects to both a traditional phone line and an available USB port on a PC running Skype™ Internet calling software, to make and receive Skype calls and ordinary telephone calls. It also allows up to four cordless handsets to be connected to the same telephone line.
“These phones are ideal for families and businesses where Skype calls are becoming as common as ordinary landline calls,” says Anurag Batta, USRobotics’ Product Manager for VoIP. “Skype calls can be placed and answered freely throughout the home or office – no longer requiring the user to be within reach of the PC. The integration of Internet calling with traditional local and long distance calling provides a complete voice communications solution.”
The USR9630 Cordless Phone for Skype and USR9631 Accessory Handset integrate seamlessly with Skype to connect users to the Skype community, which now numbers more than 113 million registered users worldwide. It allows users to make free calls through the Skype software to other Skype users, and supports low cost calls with non-Skype users via the popular SkypeIn™ and SkypeOut™ services.
“These cordless phones are two more examples of USRobotics’ commitment to enabling the world’s conversations via Skype,” says Manrique Brenes, director of hardware business development for Skype. “With USRobotics, we are providing the growing Skype community with high quality devices that make Internet calling more comfortable and familiar.”
Features available from the USR9630 Cordless Dual Phone and the USR9631 Accessory Handset include:
- Ability to use Skype even when you are not at your PC
- Up to four handsets for a whole-home/small office cordless phone solution
- Powerful DECT 6.0 technology does not interfere with 802.11a/b/g wireless networks, Bluetooth devices, and other home appliances.
- Efficient power usage for enhanced talk and stand-by times
- 150 foot (50 meter) indoor/900 foot (300 meter) outdoor range
- Integrated speakerphone in handset for hands free calling
- LED backlit, graphical LCD display provides convenient access to Skype contacts and personal phonebook entries
- Battery level indicator and Out of Range warning tone
- Supports Skype Caller ID and telephone company Caller ID
- Integrated echo cancellation and noise reduction technology delivers life-like conversation quality
- Full-duplex operation eliminates conversation clipping
- Simple to install – Supports Plug-and-Play
- Supports Windows 2000 & XP operating systems
- Compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports
The USR9630 Cordless Dual Phone will be available in September at retailers and e-tailers in North America and Europe. The MSRP is $119.99. The USR9631 Accessory Handset will be available in October for an MSRP of $69.99.
USRobotics is a Platinum Equity company. For three decades, the company has been a leader in Internet access and networking, helping millions of people connect to the Internet with powerful, innovative products. The company is rapidly expanding its category leadership by transforming the latest technologies into reliable and easy-to-use high performance products, including high-speed, broadband modems; wired and wireless networking solutions; and Internet security devices; for the growing home, home office, and small- to medium-sized business markets. The company is dedicated to keeping people connected worldwide – to information, entertainment, and each other. USRobotics is privately held and headquartered in the Chicago area with its EMEA headquarters base in the UK. For further information, please visit the Web site at www.usr.com.
USRobotics is a registered trademark of U.S. Robotics Corporation. All rights reserved. All other company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.